Monday 5 August 2019

Discretion (The Dumonts, #1)Discretion by Karina Halle
My rating: 3 of 5 stars


I have loved almost every book that I have previously read by this author but this book just didn't live up to the expectation and excitement I was so looking for. The story had all the basics that made for a great romantic suspense novel but it just didn't live up its blurb and description, for me it fell a little flat of its full potential. Olivier Dumont is from a rich well known family that own a fashion label and hotels in France. The Dumonts consist of Olivier his father, his sister, his uncle and his two cousins. Olivier runs the hotel side of their family dynasty while the others run the fashion label. There is a underlying sense of ruthless greed and want from the uncle and cousins that does become very clear in the story, but as for the excuse that is used to have total control over Olivier (as they have a secret hold over him) I felt it to be a little weak to say the least and made the story feel a bit out of date for a modern day romance.
Nevertheless I did really like the parts where the love story that blossoms between Olivier Dumont wealthy hotelier and Sadie Reynolds a young poor American student. They first meet when he comes to her aid in her time of need and it does become quite an intense read as their holiday romance becomes something more. It felt like all good fairytale stories where the prince rescues the damsel in distress. I absolutely felt their connection with each other so that I could engage with their emotions and feel all the hurt and distress that they both go through to do with their relationship but still it was not enough to make think that the villains of this book were believable.
This was just an ok read for me and I was so hoping for something more from this author.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment